THE SLEEPING LION
- acres 0.155
About This Property
Seller Motivated - Bring your dreams to The Sleeping Lion – as it’s been known since the 1950s - in beautiful downtown Fort Davis! With 100 feet of State Street frontage and artisanal touches throughout, this one-of-a-kind property is essentially a blank canvas for your vision, as all of the “heavy lifting” has been completed by a master craftsman between 2014 and 2021, and ready to be finished out to your specifications.
The property features include:
-Steel structure covering main courtyard was structurally engineered and built to hold a solar array;
- Saltillo brick pavers from Mexico installed in second courtyard and back sitting area as old-world-style
flooring with mortar and sealed in two large rooms and additionally as a wall in one room;
- Handmade Mexican brick walls in main café building, set in timber framing, and 29’ brick bar with cement
top built in 2019;
- Torch-down rolled roofing on entire building, with three-inch thick foam insulation board and other layers of protection;
- Entire building’s height increased by raising the parapet almost four feet, topped with solid cement cap;
- 8’x8’x8’ structure in second courtyard architecturally designed to hold a 2,500 gallon water tank;
-Nine-foot wall made of cinderblock, every other core filled with rebar and cement, topped with solid cement
cap. Built on a three feet deep cement footing;
- Custom gates and doors built by master furniture builder and historic restoration expert, using red oak,
white oak, hickory and 100-year-old long leaf pine, all planed and built on-site;
- Six-foot tempered glass and aluminum windows installed for view into courtyard from all rooms;
- Water and sewer lines separated from adjacent home and routed from the alley to 6th Street by professional plumbing company;
- New electrical wire and plumbing throughout, two working restrooms and one plumbed for additional
restroom and kitchen (incomplete);
- Ventahood in kitchen area of former café
- 50-amp RV hookups with RV cover, water and sewer all in place
- Ample room for more structures in the second courtyard;
The first structure of The Sleeping Lion property was built around 1905 and has served the community of Fort Davis in many forms over the years including service stations, office space, cafes, rock shops, barber shop, western wear shop, a preschool, a seafood restaurant, art galleries, bookstore and more. What will it be next?
Fort Davis, Texas – A quiet yet vibrant community, Fort Davis is a favorite destination in the highlands of West Texas. Fort Davis is home to Fort Davis National Historic Site, Davis Mountains State Park and Indian Lodge, McDonald Observatory, Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute and numerous businesses celebrating the western heritage of the area. Star parties, cycling, hiking, birding, hunting or taking the scenic loop tour are a few of the activities enjoyed by tourists and visitors throughout the year.
Fort Davis sets at an elevation of 5,050 feet above sea level and boasts one of the mildest and moderate climates in the United States with a yearly average high temperature of 76.3°F (average temperature in June being 90.3°F, the highest), average low temperature of 45.5°F (average temperature in January being 28.8°F, the lowest) and average yearly rainfall of just under 16 inches and more in the higher elevations of the Davis Mountains. It is the northern tip of the community triangle of Fort Davis, Marfa and Alpine and a common stop for visitors to Big Bend National Park. The area is also quietly becoming the most desirable among vintners for Texas wines and vineyards are being established.
With its high visibility and prime location, The Sleeping Lion is ideally situated to benefit from all of these activities and trends, regardless of what it becomes.